So last night we did a Hangout on our Online Marketing Bloopers. Pops, Kati, Jamie and myself laid bare to the world what we did when we first got started online. I got to say that remembering the mistakes was a little difficult considering we all have new habits now and its hard to think back when we were starting out. Here are a few of them I can recall from our hangout. I will put the replay below so you can watch yourself
Mistake #1 Almost never had the right answer
So when I began I tried to make an online business work but because I spent a good part of my working life working for someone else. I had all the wrong instincts. Most of what I though would work never was right. I see this with people asking advice on getting started online. They will say “Dave, I want to start an online store” and I think why would you want to compete with Amazon. That's just a small example. Buying ads is another. Most people want to find the cheapest and just buy what ever they see without doing research in the broker. So many examples.
I learned very early on. To find a Mentor and listen to a person who has been there before. Don't reinvent the wheel. Trust me. Don't rely on your “Instincts” learn from someone else.
Mistake #2 I wanted to Separate my Business and Personal life
So one of the first things I found was that when I started to share with people I was starting a business online. I got a lot of people doubting me. It was really a “downer” and so what I though I should do was to start a different Facebook Profile for my business. When I think about it now I laugh because my whole life is about what I do for a living. But when you start off you can't see the forest from the trees. Then again I was using my own instinct – boy was I wrong
Mistake #3 I was always in a Rush
So when I first started off. for some stupid reason I felt that getting through my work each day online should be done at top speed. I never stopped to think I just rushed through blogging, my videos, and going through courses and fast as I could. Now that was just me, maybe you feeling the same. if so, SLOW DOWN. I'm not sure why newbies rush, I think it has to do with feeling left behind. Not really sure. Just know this. IT DOES NOT HELP to rush… in fact it hurts to rush..
Mistake #4 I never wrote my own emails
There is a thing in this industry called an Auto-Responder and every Big Online Marketers has one. You need one if your customers grow to more that 100, even 50 is a lot to send emails. Well when I got my Auto-Responder I never took the time to write my own emails. All I did was copy other people. BAD IDEA! When you copy you are not being yourself and worst of all you have no idea what you are saying. So customers don't get to see YOU, they get to see a STRANGER. Which brings me to my next mistake
Mistake #5 Taking shortcuts
I am ashamed to say now, that when I started all I wanted to do was take a short cut. Now nothing wrong with finding a quicker way to do something but in this case I was trying to find a way to skip the hard work. And off course this is what 98% of new people try to do when they first start online. I partly blame the Online Industry because there seems to be a movement of people that make it look like building a business is a push button system that requires little work. This is false off course and I hope you understand that ANYTHING worth having requires hard work.
There are so may other mistakes I made and in this hangout below we cover quite a few and also give you advice on how you can get started.
In the hangout I tell you to “Get Started” You can use this “Get Started” link. If you are watching this replay on my blog
- Fake It Till You Make It MYTH From a South African
- How To Find Clients Online
- How To Sell Anything To Anybody
- How To Increase Your Net Worth
- Why Network Marketing Is Not Working
- Good Habits For Success | My Best Habits Series – #1
- Good Habits For Success | My Best Habits Series – #2
- Good Habits For Success | My Best Habits Series – #03
- Good Habits For Success | My Best Habits Series – #04
- Good Habits For Success | My Best Habits Series – #05
- Good Habits For Success | My Best Habits Series – #06
- Good Habits For Success | My Best Habits Series – #07
- Good Habits For Success | My Best Habits Series – #08
- How To Become The Center of Attention Without Being Selfish
- How To Sell Anything To Anyone – You HAVE TO HURT EM!
- How To Attract Customers For Online Marketing STOP SELLING
- Remember The Idiot – I have NOT Forgotten – NEVER!
- How to become a Leader or Mentor
- The Most Dangerous Words In The English Language
- How To Start a Business Online With No Money MYTH
- How To Work When You Don't Want To
- How To Deal With Anger And Why We Get Angry
- Why Helping Others Actually Helps Yourself
- Are you a follower or a Leader
- The Most Important Word Ever
- The Question I Get Asked The Most About How To Start a Business Online
- How to Influence People EVERY Time
- Is School a Waste of Time or Is Traditional Education Still Valuable?
- Learning How To Learn
- How To Start An Online Business From a Third World Country
- Good Habits For Success | My Best Habits Series – #09
- How to stop judging people | Learn Why Judging People Is a Waste of Time
- How To Take Control of Your Life and Step Into Leadership
- How To Build Trust and Credibility
- How To Have More Self Control
- How To Be The Best Version of Yourself
- Interview With a South African Entrepreneur
- What Would You Do With $25, 000
- How You Can Improve Self Image (4 Easy Simple Steps)
- Starting a Business With No Money
- The Power of Your Mind
- Who is Maria Özkanli (Success From the Netherlands)
- Which Bank Account Do you Work With
- Good Habits For Success | My Best Habits Series – #10
- Nobody Wants To Help Me
- How Do You Get Noticed
- Accountability Partner REALLY?
- Emotion and Business
- How To NOT Be Overwhelmed
- Do Network Marketers Brainwash You
- I Do Not Have Time To Run a Business Online
- How To Fix a Reputation
- Online Marketing Bloopers | Our Gag Real Made Public